Monday, January 24, 2011

My Plymouth Journal


The Journal Of Stephen Hopkins 1620-1621 Journey to the New World


September 6, 1620-0 miles sailed
Leiden, Boarding The Mayflower

As we board the Mayflower worry flows inside my body. ‘Tis a gloomy day today as we hike up the wooden platform to the boat. My name is Stephen Hopkins. I am 39v years old. I am traveling to the New World with my wife Elizabeth Hopkins (who is going to have a baby soon) and my two wonderful children Giles and Constance Hopkins. I am worried because as I look at the ”sturdy” boat, I see that there are only three escape boats. The boat is rocking to and fro in an uncomfortably way. And there is going to be 102 passengers all cramped up in the tiny boat.
“Daddy!” A girl screams to her father. “ I don’t want to leave mommy!”
“I am sorry Remember but we are doing the right thing” He sighs.
I am a stranger not a saint. A saint is a person who wants to go to the New World for the freedom of religion, but a saint is a person who wants to go to the New World to start new lives. I am very concerned about my children, Giles and Constance. They are too young (Giles 11, and Constance 14) to go on a complex journey like this. But I am not tooooo worried because there are 7 year olds on this ship! It smells rank and I feel as if I am going to cast under the quarter deck. I fall asleep fair uncomfortably next to my family.

September 16, 1620- 98 miles sailed
The Mayflower

It has been 10 days since we boarded the Mayflower. Everybody has cast at least 3 times a day. ‘Twill be a short journey I hope. I don’t know how we are also going to survive this trip, people are already getting so sick. We have no space and it smells fair rank because of un-dumped chamber pots. Elizabeth is having so much trouble because her baby is due soon. It will be even harder to have three children on the boat but Constance is growing up. A storm is brewing and Captain Standish is needed of workmen. I must go to work because I am tired of sitting all cramped up under the quarter deck watching Giles and Remember Allerton playing hand games, the boat rocking to and fro. Truth be told I really don’t like this ship. I climb through the trapdoor to the quarter deck as I tell Giles where I am going. Giles seems really worried about me going to work in the storm. When I am on the deck I gulp in a breath of fresh air. It feels good smelling the fair cool salty ocean air then smelling the rank un-dumped chamber pot dirty clothes smell. ‘Twas very alarming to see what was up on the deck. I had only glanced it once. I don’t to deserve to be down there, I know previous knowledge of the New World! Miles Standish is talking to a teenager who is volunteering for work.
“Come on lad, go fix the leaks and don’t come back until they are all fixed!” He howled.
“Yes captain!” The boy said, and he shuffled of. I am having second thoughts about talking to Miles.

September 20, 1620-112 miles sailed
The Mayflower

       We have been having a severe thunderstorm for 4 days now and it is my job to pull up sails with Isaac Allerton (Remembers dad). I am writing right now fair late because of the dark sky. The rain is puttering hard on the wooden walls of the boat. I see a leak on the ship and it is dripping on to Priscilla Mullins, but she does not notice it. The boat is rocking really roughly on the high waves. ‘Twill stop soon we all hope, well the strangers do. The saints believe that King James is on their side and he will always protect them.
       In the morning it does not feel like morning for the sky is still pitch black. I go up to the quarter deck to pull up sails as a bolt of lightning hits the ocean lighting up the sky. A wave crashes on to the deck; I get startled and trip on Isaac’s leg. I fall to the floor with a thud getting soaked.  I quickly go down under the deck where the rank smell is waiting for me. I grab one of the coats I brought from England and wrap it tight around me. It quickly absorbs the water in my garments and the coat gets wet too. I fall asleep early as my quill falls away.






September 30, 1620-156 miles sailed
The Mayflower

       Eight days ago the storm stopped and the sun came out and it was finally bright. All the Pilgrims rushed up to the quarter deck and a man named Solomon Prower sprained his arm in the rush of Pilgrims. I guess I don’t have to do any more work until another storm comes. Back to the tween deck…

October 18, 1620-200 miles sailed
The Mayflower

       I am very worried about my wife Elizabeth, she has been complaining about her stomach and Pilgrims are inferring she might have her baby fair soon. We are having another storm right now (How many storms are we going to have on this ship?!) and I infer we will have fair large waves and hard rain.

October 21, 1620-239 miles sailed
The Mayflower

       “Heave on the mizzen halyard!”
       “All hands predy to set sail!” Shouts Captain Standish. ‘Tis as we expected, fair rainy. The thunder is s loud and the lightning is too bright. I am again pulling up sails with Isaac Allerton in the rain. I am already soaked from head to toe. Suddenly somewhere across the deck I hear John Billington shouting against the loud sound of the rain:
       “STEPHEN HOPKINS PLEASE REPORT TO THE TWEEN DECK
IMMEDIATELY!” What was this? I climb down to the tween deck and go
right to Elizabeth who is now holding a screaming baby wrapped in Giles’s
only coat. Our new baby is so cute and small. A little lump of brown hair is
plopped on his head. And his small beady blue eyes are gazing up at me.
Elizabeth says softly to me:
       “Oceanus” That was his name! I am so happy that a tear trickles down
 my cheek. I love his name. ‘Twas probably named after the ocean.


 November 9, 1620-1,50 miles sailed
The Mayflower

       ‘Tis fair early in the morning and I have not been writing because of our new son Oceanus. He is the loudest little boy in the whole boat. Well he really is the only little boy in the boat. So far Priscilla Mullins, Thomas English, John Alden, Francis Cooke, Samuel Fuller, and Christopher Martin have complained about his loudness. I wish I could shut him up in a box, but of course he is still my son so I definitely would not do that. We have sailed so many miles because of the high winds. Suddenly from the quarter deck I hear a shout:
       “LAND HO!!!”
It is Peter Brown. All of a sudden the spirits in my body rose. I was so happy that I screamed:
       “’Tis a glorious day!!!” Every single pilgrim in the tween deck rushed up to the quarter deck his or her hearts filled with joy. I go up after every one passed (did not want to sprain my ankle like Solomon Prower!) with Elizabeth, Giles. Constance, and Oceanus. We stare out at the horizon line. A strip of land lying out like a blanket. I hear William Bradford saying to John Carver and Miles Standish:
       “At last this long hard journey is over!”
       I look back at the now thicker strip of land. I am so happy I can hardly breathe. We go closer and closer and pull The Mayflower into the harbor.  Miles Standish makes an announcement:
       “Pilgrims, Pilgrims I have an announcement! ‘Tis not Virginia where we planned to go but it is a place called Cape Cod,” We stayed in the harbor for the rest of the day and then it became night.

November 11, 1620-no more miles to sail!
Cape Cod Harbor

       Today William Bradford writes The Mayflower Compact, and us men 15 and older are required to sign it. Francis Billington and John Billington II are infuriated that they don’t get to sign the Compact. I go to a crowded cabin on the quarter deck where William Bradford is hunched over a table writing furiously on a piece of parchment with his quill. Men and women and children are scattered around the cabin watching with wide eyes. He finishes it and I go up to sign it.
XStephen Hopkins
     I go under to the tween deck and go to my family who are nibbling on a few crumbs of bread (stale).  Tomorrow 16 men will explore the new land.

The Mayflower Compact

In the name of God, Amen. We whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread sovereign lord, King James, by the grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland king, defender of faith etc. Having undertaken, for the glory of God and advancement of the Christian faith and honor of our king & country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the Northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents, solemnly & mutually in the presence of God and on of another, covenant & combine ourselves together into a civil body politick, for our better ordering & preservation & furtherance of the ends foresaid: and by virtue hereof to enact laws, ordinances, acts, constitutions, & offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet & convenient for the general good of the colony, unto which we promise all due submission and obedience. In witness whereof we have hereunder subscribed our names ant Cape Cod the 11th of November in the year of the reign of our sovereign lord, King James, of England, France, & Ireland the eighteenth and of Scotland, the fifty-fourth. Ano: Dom. 1620.









November 11, 1620-continued journal entry
Cape Cod Harbor

       The strangers and the saints have been fighting a lot about the law. This is why William Bradford wrote The Mayflower Compact. They are fighting because the law they originally had was for Virginia but now they are in Cape Cod so the law is fair different. They now think they can do whatever they want. ‘Tis why they did the Mayflower Compact. I don’t know what will happen.

November 12, 1620
Cape Cod Harbor

       Today 16 men went ashore to explore the New World. And guess what! I was on of them! The leader of the group was Miles Standish. The other men were Isaac Allerton, William Bradford, John Carver, Francis Cooke, Samuel Fuller, John Billington, Peter Browne, Edward Winslow, John Alden, Thomas English, Joseph Rodgers, John Tilley, Richard Bitterbridge, Jasper Jonathan Pierce, and James Chilton. When we got of the boat we had to wade through 5 feet of ice-cold water. Then we got to the beach. ‘Tis so cold on The New World beach. The saints drop to their knees and thank King James. Soon after we walked on the beach for 30 minutes we ventured into the woods. In the woods there were rows and rows of all different kinds of trees. It looked like a maze of trees. We colleted wood from juniper trees for fires. That night we had our first warm meal on 66 days. 

November 13, 1620
Cape Cod Bay

‘Tis the day where all the women and children get to go ashore to wash clothes (which smells very rank-we haven’t washed them for 66 days). ‘Twill be fair exciting for them. The saint children ran around the beach screaming:
       “Thank You King James!!!” And the stranger children just ran around the beach screaming nothing. But the mischievous little Billington boys were throwing rocks and sticks at Giles.

November 17, 1620
Cape Cod Harbor

       Again today we get to go to The New World and my children are fair excited for me. We go to the beach where we were the first time.  When we walk to the woods to find more things William Bradford spots a stream. A freshwater stream! We go the stream, which is in the outsides of the woods. I wonder why we did not see the stream the first time we were on the New World. I drop to my knees and start gulping down the cool fresh water. Some of us take vials of the water back to there children but I don’t have a vial. After we get the water we go into woods. Juniper trees tower over our heads. We find a clearing where there are mounds and mounds of sand. Miles Standish said we should dig in it. So we did. Once we dug to the bottom there was a woven basket of blue, red, and yellow corn. Samuel Fuller Cried: “This is perfect for the crops! We should take so we don’t starve!”
“Should we take it?” William Bradford asks to Miles Standish. “Y-Yes we should” He says. But a bit of guilt is in his words. So we took the corn. We set up camp that night and I go to bed guilty.

December 6, 1620
Cape Cod Harbor

       Today men explore the New World again but in the foulest winter weather. It is raining so hard and the wind is blowing so furiously. As soon as the rain hits the ground it turns to ice. But luckily I am sitting on the tween deck again watching Giles and Remember playing finger games.

December 7, 1620
Cape Cod Harbor

       A baby has been born. Pilgrims call him The First New World Baby (he really is not as loud as Oceanus). ‘Tis a very cute baby. He was born a few minutes before midnight on the tween deck. His name is Peregrine White.
       The men go to explore today. I am among them. We divided into groups. On the water we saw a big black fish, 15 feet long. It had a white belly. The men went on and we came to the same mounds of sand, but this time the area was fenced in a tall wooden fence.
       “We must not dig here!” Said William Bradford.





December 13, 1620
Cape Cod Harbor

       In the morning we set out looking for a place to set up our new village. We found a perfect field and we named it Plymouth after a city in England. We will set anchor there tomorrow.





















PLIMOUTH






December 25, 1620
Plymouth

       Today the men build the first building: The Common House. We take huge Juniper trees and cut them down to bet logs for the building. We also build a platform on top of a small hill for fortification. After the Common House is done we get ready to build all the other houses.

January 7, 1621
Plymouth

It is 1621! That is the good thing. The bad thing is that 2 men set out the woods and they still haven’t returned. Therefore they are lost.

A Fair Long Time After

March 14, 1621-Indians Come For The First Time
Plymouth

       ‘Tis a wonderful day! Guess what happened! I was in my new house (there are now 7 houses on 1st street) when from the Common House I heard a cry:
       “INDIANS! INDIAN!” It is Peter Browne. Me, Elizabeth (holding Oceanus), Giles, and Constance ran over to see the Indian. Pilgrims poured out of their houses, stumbling to see the Indian. He was tall and had amber brown skin. He wore a quiver of arrows on one side of his body and a bow on the other side. He had lines of red paint on his cheeks and wore fragments of deerskin around his waist. Elders rushed to give him a cloak-he looked freezing only wearing fragments of deerskin around part of his body.
       “Welcome” he says in perfect English. Wait did he just say “Welcome”-In English! We couldn’t believe it. William Bradford and miles Standish put down their muskets.
      

“My name is Samoset,” He said again in perfect English. The Elders led him to a tree stump to sit down. We brought Brandy, Biscuits, Cheese, a bit of cooked Mallard, and some pudding. He gobbled it up like he had never had food. I moved a bit closer interested in him. Elizabeth on the other hand looked worried sick. She glanced at Oceanus and rocked him in her arms; by the sight of the Indian he became quiet (I should hire him to be with Oceanus every day!). She is worried because Oceanus is very young-9 months and 23 days old.
       “I have drank this before,” Samoset said at the taste of the Brandy. Edward Winslow asked him where. He said from English fishermen who had visited his country. He told us that he had been watching us for days and didn’t show himself because he was scared of our muskets. He also said that he comes from Pemmequid Point, where his is chief of the Abanaki, also called People Of The Dawn. They call Plymouth where we now live “Patuxet” which means: “Little Bay” He told the Pilgrims stories for hours and hours and then it became dark. He looked like he wanted to stay. And he did.
       “Where shall I stay,” He says. I whisper to a the boy Jasper Jonathan Pierce:
       “Go to my house and ask my wife Elizabeth if it is Ok for Samoset to stay for the night. He comes back shortly after with the news. She says ok. I am very excited. An Indian is staying at my-my house! I walk him over to the house with Giles and Constance who already asking him so many questions. And we all go to sleep.

March 22, 1621
Plymouth

       Again the Samoset comes but with another Indian called Tisquantum. He says we can call him Squanto. He also told us the great chief Massasoit and his brother Quadequina were coming. An hour later they come. Massasoit and Quadequina are very tall and are painted with bold colors. They were deerskin and also like Samoset have bows and arrows. Giles and Constance stand staring. Elizabeth is at home sleeping along with Oceanus. Captain Standish and a few other men including me take the Indians to the Common House. Meat was served with Brandy and Pudding. Massasoit drew a pipe from his deerskin pouch. We make a Peace Treaty for the Pilgrims and Indians:
The Peace Treaty

First: They should not injure us or do hurt to any of our people.
Second: If they do hurt, Massasoit should send us the offender so we could punish him. And if we did like harm to them, the same should be done.
Third: If they took our tools he should cause them to be resorted.
Fourth: If any tribes did unjust war against him we should aid him. If any did war against us, he would aid us
Fifth: He should send to his neighboring confederates to certify them of this.
Sixth: When their men came to us they should leave bows and arrows. And when we came to them we should leave behind our muskets.
Seven: If they did all this, King James would esteem him as a friend and ally.

Massasoit and Quadeqhins left at dusk. Squanto, and Samoset stayed for the night at the Common House. Guess I cant put 2 Indians in my house.

March 23, 1621
Plymouth

In the morning more Indians come to Plymouth but this time with wives and children.  The children Indians all played with Giles and Remember Allerton. They wanted to be entertained. So we entertained them. They go back to their village at night and generously take Isaac Allerton and Miles Standish with them to see the village. I deeply wish that I may go. ‘Twas a fine day.

A Fair Long Time After


June 7, 1621
Plymouth

       A lot of people have died since March. So there has not been much time to write. The sickness has been growing and John Carver had died.  Now because of his death William Bradford is now Governor. In the Billington family no one has gotten sick-yet.

June 15, 1621
Plymouth

       John Billingtonn II- Eye Eye Eye. That little mischievous little man. He has been gone for 5 days and still has not returned… Lost. But today he comes back through the woods with a party of Nauset Indians. John is wearing paint on his face and beads are hanging down his body. Francis (his brother) is fair upset. Not because he’s upset with John because he wanted to go with the Indians too. As I write this I see him huffing and puffing and his face is bright red. I can imagine. Giles looks up at me and shrugs. That boy is crazy! John.

June 17, 1621
Plymouth

       Squanto the Indian is now a saint. Why?? He has moved into our village and all the saints are fair happy. Why would he do this? I don’t even know if I’m upset or not. I think I’m upset.
       The corn blazes the field all different colors. This means we won’t starve this winter. Me and Constance and Giles go to a field to take a test of the yellow corn. We all love it and our mouths water for more. We bring some back for Elizabeth and Oceanus. We are going to hunt for eels in July soon.

July 5, 1621
Hunting Eels With Squanto

       At midnight we set out for eel hunting with Squanto. We go to a pond in the forest. The moon is full and fair bright. Giles and Constance come with me. It is not only we. William Bradford, Francis Cooke, and Isaac Allerton come too. We catch many eels for eel pie – yummy!






















First Drawing In Journal: Of Eel Hunting With Squanto

       Squanto brings tools for us to catch the eels with. We realize the moon is so bright it is almost like the middle of the day. Giles is splashing in the water while Francis Cooke and John Billington fight about Squanto being a saint. Besides that it is very peaceful.


August 1, 1621
Pond

       I was going to get some firewood from the Juniper trees when I came across a pond. I heard splashing and laughing. It might have been Indians so I crept behind a bush. I peer over it and see 3 little Indian children playing in the water. The saints think that if you go in the water you will loose your natural protection. Like I really believe that!

August 25, 1621
Plymouth

       Me and Giles and Constance stand outside of the woods. I am going to show them the pond where the Indians were playing. I learned that the Indians treat their children differently than Pilgrims treat their children. We go to the creak but this time Squanto is there with another Indian child. We crouch behind a bush again not wanting to be seen. Suddenly Giles trips on a rock and falls: SPLASH!! In to the pond. Squanto dives in to get Giles. He brings out Giles choking on water. Constance and me run out to see him. Squanto pulls me aside and says:
       “Hi Stephen Hopkins, You and Constance and Giles can come to my village, and we can dry Giles with nice warm deerskin,” I am truly honored so I say “yes”. I have always wanted to go to an Indian village.
       We hike up a mountain for an hour with Squanto and the Indian child. Suddenly a bunch of Wigwams appeared among the trees. ‘Tis very nice here. Squanto introduced us to the Indians. They touched out garments like they have never seen them before (I bet they haven’t). They are fair attracted to Constance’s petticoat.
I like the Indians. 

No comments:

Post a Comment